What To Look For When Purchasing Live Edge Furniture
When buying live edge furniture, there are several important factors to consider to ensure you’re getting a high-quality and suitable piece for your needs. Live edge furniture is known for its unique and natural characteristics, so paying attention to certain aspects will help you make an informed decision. Here’s what to look for:
- Wood Quality and Species: The type of wood used in the furniture affects its durability, appearance, and overall quality. Different wood species have varying levels of hardness, grain patterns, and color. Look for locally-sourced, kiln-dried, indigenous wood for better stability and longevity.
- Live Edge Characteristic: The defining feature of live edge furniture is the natural edge of the wood slab, which retains the organic shape of the tree. The live edge can be shaped to ensure it has a smooth and aesthetically pleasing curve or irregularity.
- Cracks and Checks: Small cracks, known as “checks,” are a common feature in live edge furniture due to the natural drying process of the wood. While minor cracks can add character, excessive or deep cracks can be filled to prevent the piece from weakening over time. Assess the severity of cracks and consider whether they affect the structural integrity.
- Finish and Surface Treatment: The finish applied to the wood not only enhances or alters its’ appearance but also protects it from moisture and wear. Look for a well-applied, durable finish that enhances the natural beauty of the wood while offering sufficient protection. The finish should be smooth and free from bubbles, drips, or rough patches.
- Stability and Structural Integrity: Ensure that the furniture piece is stable and well-constructed. Joints should be tight, and the legs or supports should be sturdy. Shake or gently rock the piece to check for any wobbling or instability.
- Size and Functionality: Consider the size of the furniture and whether it fits your space and intended use. Live edge pieces can vary widely in size and shape, so make sure it’s proportionate to the room and complements your existing decor.
- Matching Aesthetics: Live edge furniture can range from rustic to contemporary in style. Choose a piece that matches or complements the overall aesthetics of your space. The color and grain of the wood should harmonize with your existing furniture and decor.
- Source and Sustainability: If environmental impact is a concern, inquire about the sourcing of the wood. Look for furniture made from sustainably harvested or reclaimed wood to minimize ecological impact.
- Price: Live edge furniture can vary greatly in price due to factors like wood type, size, craftsmanship, and design. Set a budget and consider the value you’re getting in terms of quality and aesthetics.
- Craftsmanship: Assess the quality of craftsmanship, including joinery, sanding, and finishing. Well-made live edge furniture should exhibit attention to detail and precision in the construction.
- Customization: Many live edge furniture pieces can be customized to your preferences. If you’re looking for something specific, inquire about customization options such as wood type, finish, and design.
- Reviews and Reputation: If you’re purchasing from a store or artisan, read reviews or seek recommendations from others who have bought from them. A reputable seller with positive feedback is more likely to provide a satisfying buying experience.
By paying attention to these factors, you can make an informed decision and select a beautiful and durable piece of live edge furniture that suits your style and needs.
Have Any Questions?
Don’t worry, we can help.
Call us at 661-972-9095
or use the Contact Us Page
SIMILAR POSTS THAT MAY INTEREST YOU
To properly maintain your red oak kitchen cutting board from Mountain Dog Millworks, follow these steps to ensure its longevity and hygiene: Cleaning: Drying: Oiling and Seasoning: Tips: By following these care and maintenance guidelines, you can keep your red oak kitchen cutting board from Mountain Dog Millworks in excellent condition for years to come.
Live edge slabs from pine, oak, fir, and redwood can be incredibly versatile and can be used for a wide range of creative and functional purposes. Here are some ideas: Remember to properly finish and seal the wood to ensure its longevity and protect it from moisture and wear. Each type of wood has its…
Maintaining a live edge oak dining table in like-new condition requires regular care and attention. Here are some tips to help you preserve the beauty and longevity of your table: Remember that each live edge oak table may have unique characteristics, so it’s important to follow any care instructions provided by the manufacturer or the…
Maintaining the beauty and longevity of your Pine Live Edge Dining Table requires regular care and attention. Here are some tips to help you keep your table looking like new: Remember that Pine Live Edge Dining Tables are meant to showcase the natural beauty of wood, including its imperfections and unique characteristics. Proper care and…
Live edge pine can be a unique and visually appealing choice for kitchen countertops, but there are several factors you should consider before deciding if it’s the right option for your kitchen: In summary, live edge pine can be a good choice for kitchen countertops if you appreciate its aesthetics and are willing to invest…
Yes, Oak can be a good choice for kitchen countertops, but there are some important considerations to keep in mind before making a decision. Advantages of Live Edge Oak for Kitchen Countertops: Considerations and Maintenance: Ultimately, the choice of countertop material depends on your personal preferences, budget, and willingness to maintain and care for the…
Mountain Dog Millworks:
- Timber milling
- Wood processing
- Lumber production
- Wood fabrication
- Custom millwork
- Wood machining
- Carpentry services
- Timber engineering
- Hand crafted
- Kiln drying
- Woodworking tools
- Carpentry techniques
- Wood joinery
- Wood carving
- Wood finishing
- Woodworking projects
- Fine woodworking
- Woodworking supplies
- Woodshop equipment
- Custom finishes
Live Edge Furniture And Products
- Live edge tables
- Natural edge furniture
- Live edge slabs
- Live edge wood
- Rustic furniture
- Live edge decor
- Live edge countertops
- Live edge shelves
- Live edge wall art
- Live edge woodworking